Sunday, August 07, 2005

Golf - My First Experience

Yesterday, I played Golf for the first time. By 6:00 PM, my friend Rohit called me, and asked whether I wanted to go to play Golf. Till this point, I have no idea of Golf, except the naive understanding that I need to hold a golf club, and then hit the ball. The terms "Driving", "Putting"..etc were out of my understanding. But, as with any thing, there is a begininig, as someone has rightly said... "The journey of a thousand miles, starts with the first step". By 6:30, I was driving to Rohits place, where I picked him and Nikhil Kikkeri. Of us 3, Nikhil was the most experienced in Golf.

We reached the Golf course in like 10 minutes, and as I stepped into the course, it was a totally different feeling. Long patch of grass, with flags at some points gave me an approximate idea of how big a golf course is. Needless to say, my friends helped me with selecting the right golf clubs. They helped me to get educated on the advantages and disadvantages of each of the clubs.

The first step was to learn how to "Drive". Driving is the act of hitting the ball to a long distance... the first shot you see in any golf game. We have cricket, which is something like this, and thought, this is going to be a piece of cake... a thought, I soon found out is very much wrong. For one thing, the ball is much smaller, and to add to it, the surface area of the club is no comparison to the comparitively large cricket bat. Rohit helped me get started by showing me the right way to hold the club, and also, the swing.

While I watched Nikhils and Rohits golf shots go nothing less than 175 yards, mine was hardly making it out of 20 yards!!!. The harder I tried to hit, the lesser it went!!!. And then.... came my first successful shot. Off the ball went, and actually, never saw it, as it was clear sky.

Anyways, it was a wonderful experience, and was a good work out too. Looking forward for this again next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home